Objects as Information Workshop
Possibilities presented by designing objects in a post CNC fabrication and computational world
A intense learning and creating experience. As a group or individual, the workshop aims to guide authentic expression with a design process. It sets a creative environment for generating ideas and concepts, understanding their potential, and developing them into objects that reflect your character and way of expression.
To aid in the creation of your objects you will be introduced to the principles behind open design, the possibilities offered by CNC manufacture and computational systems. We will explore how “object as information” open up a new way of interacting with design where a design might easily be shared with others with the intent that they will be changed, hacked or repurposed. Also how a object as information might not be static, the object or design might be a piece of software or instructions designed to produce custom objects in relation to or as a collaboration with a person using the software.
In the workshop you will learn:
• Find design ideas and concepts.
• Explore the potential and qualities of a design.
• Make a design meaningful to you.
• Understand the themes of your design.
• Communicate ideas and opinions through objects.
• Integrate elements into an aesthetic design.
• Document your design process.
• Reflect upon and evaluate your work.
• Utilize CNC manufacturing to produce your design.
• How code might be used to create or help create your object.
• Explore how computational tools might be created to produce objects.
Keywords: Identity, process, Open Design,
What participants should bring:
Laptops, 2D or 3D Cad software (or we will provide a open-source alternative).
10am Introduction of ourselves 30mins each
11:00 Intro of the workshop
11:30 Group brainstorm
1:30 Develop your thing